Monday, January 14, 2013

Fiji Village - Easton

My experience in a village in Fiji was excellent. I stayed in a typical village, played with the local kids, and saw a sand dune next to the South Pacific Ocean.

The Village, called Vunavutu, is a typical Fijian village.  There were about 36 houses with 6 families amongst them. This leaves about 6 houses per family. Within each home, lived about 11 people.  In the houses, there is not much furniture. They normally eat on the hard floor with weaved mats. Their kitchens are outside the house in different buildings. For laundry, they use a stick and a bucket with clothes in it. They smash the laundry into the bucket with water. Then, they dry it by using lines across two poles. They have to grow their own food in places called plantations. They go to the plantation to pick the food for the family each day.  

There are a lot of kids in the village. I counted about 25 kids ranging in age from 1 month to 18 years. There is a lot of spae for the kids to play outside. THey can play around the whole village and in the river that flows near the plantation. Every morning, the kids start their day at the main house. THe kids are very playful. They like sports such as rugby and soccer... and play with their friends, even in the rain.

We visited the Sigatoka Sand Dunes. To get there, you walk up a couple of large hills, then you see the ocean. The waves were huge. The water is salty and very warm. When playing in the water, there are times that you should not get in front of someone else, because the waves might carry you and slam you into them. For example, I was standing in front of my brother when an enormous wave hit me and I slammed into my brother's face. He fell backwards and we both floated to the shore.


When leaving the sand dunes, you come to more hills, then look for a big star in the side of one of the hills. The star was made by someone's feet walking in a pattern. Be careful coming down the hill. Do not run as fast as  you can or else you might trip and get sand all over yourself.

This was my experience in Vunavutu Village, Fiji. I definitely would want to come back again.



1 comment:

  1. Easton,

    It sounds like you are having an incredible experience in Fiji. You wrote this post very well and I could imagine myself there.

    Mrs. Dudley

    ReplyDelete